The Kotel (Western Wall) is the holiest site in Judaism. Ultra-Orthodox Jews have complete control of the Kotel and the Western Wall Heritage Council, which administers the holy site. Reform, Conservative, Reconstructionist, Renewal, Humanistic, and secular Jews have no representation on the council and therefore the Western Wall reflects only one type of Jewish practice. This petition is to show the Israeli government that the policy of giving one group complete control of the Kotel must be changed.
Petition on behalf of religious inclusion on the Western Wall Heritage Council
We, too, are Jewish. We, too, deserve a place at Judaism's holiest site
A call for the State of Israel to include on the Western Wall Heritage Council members who are not Orthodox so that multiple voices and religious views can be part of the administration of the Kotel.
We the undersigned believe the time is long overdue for our nation to recognize that there is more than one way to practice Judaism and to acknowledge the value and importance of supporting all denominations in Judaism. Israel’s Jewish heritage is a treasure that must be shared by all Jews and all Jews have a right to an equal voice in its stewardship.
1. Most of the Jews in the world are not orthodox and;
2. The Western Wall is universally accepted as the holiest site in Judaism and;
3. The State of Israel was founded to be the physical and spiritual home for the entire Jewish people and;
4. The Government of Israel must protect every Jew's right to worship freely in the Jewish state and;
5. Currently, only one denomination is given seats on the Western Wall Heritage Council which means that the needs and sensibilities of most of the world’s Jews are not represented at Judaism’s holiest site.
THEREFORE - We urgently call on you to
1. Appoint members to the Western Wall Heritage Council that represent a cross section of the world’s Jewish population; and
2. Appoint members in a way that shows gender equality; in order to
3. Allow a real conversation to begin about how best to make the Western Wall a site that serves as the cornerstone of Jewish life around the world and not as a reminder of how the majority of Jews must accept one group’s interpretation of our shared heritage.
This petition has a goal of
of 34071 signatures
Tue May 14 18:24:55 EDT 2013
Wed May 08 13:47:28 EDT 2013
Sun May 05 14:37:16 EDT 2013
Mon Apr 29 08:24:02 EDT 2013
Fri Apr 19 18:53:24 EDT 2013
Wed Apr 17 12:47:16 EDT 2013
Thu Apr 11 17:46:01 EDT 2013
Wed Apr 10 12:58:56 EDT 2013
There is no one truth. Wanton hatred and misogyny are not ahavat Yisrael and belies one of the interpretations of the Eshet Chayil on Friday night before Kidush. There are more ways to Yerushalayim. Strife More....and discord near where once our Beit Hamikdash stood and where there is still more kedusah than elsewhere in this world. By men who do not think nor act Torah but just let their ego prevail. Wise up, guys. The Aybershte is also looking and searching your motivations. Ha!
Wed Apr 10 10:00:10 EDT 2013
Tue Apr 09 05:41:24 EDT 2013
Wed Mar 27 17:04:39 EDT 2013
Mon Mar 25 14:00:16 EDT 2013
Mon Mar 25 14:00:02 EDT 2013
Mon Mar 25 13:59:47 EDT 2013
Chag sameach. Gut yontiff, gut yore. GO ANAT HOFFMAN GO.